Thank you for your interest in becoming a Growing Buddy
We’re looking for people with a passion to inspire others to have a go at growing their own food.
Growing Buddies don’t have to be expert growers or gardeners, just keen to support Breckland residents to get active and ‘give it a grow’
- Growing Buddies help bring together growing groups and initiatives unique to Breckland.
- Growing Buddies primarily support older and more vulnerable residents in Breckland to undertake growing and gardening activities.
- Growing Buddies work with groups and individuals to support them to grow through activities, events and talks.
- Volunteer Growing Buddies are asked to undertake at least 30 hours a year volunteering (about half a day a month). Most continue beyond.
- They feedback their hours, activities, successes and problems to their local volunteer co-ordinator, Michelle Turner
- Full Growing Buddy training supported by dedicated manual and interactive website.
- Active support from the local volunteer co-ordinator, Michelle Turner, including one-to-one guidance, training, newsletters, and factsheets.
- Part of a community of Growing Buddies and Master Gardeners promoting food growing around the UK.
- Free resources, badge, clothing, safe working policies, insurance, expenses, awards, Garden Organic membership and discounted Grow Your Own magazine subscription.
Questions and application
Our local volunteer co-ordinator Michelle Turner will then get in touch to discuss the programme and arrange to meet you.
Since Growing Buddies work with the public, we carry out reference checks.
Not in Breckland?
We accept volunteers from outside Breckland, but you will be supporting residents and communities in the Breckland District Council Area.
We have Growing Buddies, Food Buddies and Master Gardeners supporting food growing in areas further afield, see our other programme areas, or contact us to help us start a Garden Organic programme near you.
Other ways to get involved